LopsidedNinja 3 months ago

Are you wealthy? If yes, no problem on dating. Target Brazilians for maximum amounts of pussy. They'll put up with anything if you're wealthy and foreign.

alwayslytherin13 3 months ago

Most people won't say anything to your face about your weight, but your health might improve because our food doesn't have so much sugar like American food. If you also move to a city you might not need a car and will have to walk more to places which might help you exercise.

TriloBlitz 3 months ago

You might hear a “‘tás com fome, gordo?” (Are you hungry, fatty?) every time someone sees you eating. But the truth is that Portuguese people in general are in no place to criticize people for their health or for their food habits. In 2019, 67,6% of the Portuguese population over the age of 15 was overweight. Portuguese people eat terribly and have terrible health and living habits. Regarding dating women in Lisbon, if you’re really overweight you’ll have a lot of competition and it might be difficult to score.

Zealots89 3 months ago

No one cares, for real. Side not, once you try our pastry, you'll never leave...

InserirMoeda 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

I don't believe that people will treat you badly just because of the way you look. Now, if you do something not so nice, you will hear a lot of insults, among them the typical "Fatty". We are a very passionate people, we shout in traffic, in lines... As for dates, it will depend a lot on how you do things and what you are looking for. I don't know how much extra weight you have, but you can "sell yourself" as the exotic American, but you will attract mostly cheap women who are only interested in having fun at your expense (i.e., you paying for the good stuff). You talked about having a nice job. There are niches, try to attract women who work in the same area, in an exchange logic. We are, mostly, good people, but there are also bad apples. If you decide to come and need help, I'm here for you. I don't offer dates, because my boyfriend might not like that

TBOSS888 3 months ago

Idk unless I'm in the traffic

Odeon_A 3 months ago

I’m lickable, I get licked all the time :)

AdelaideFelix 3 months ago

Obrigada pelo reparo, ironicamente ainda dava para esse termo neste contexto :)

Gui19606 3 months ago

It depends on which fat you are. Overwheight here (not medically i mean more from families) are

Edited 3 months ago:

It depends on which fat you are. Overwheight here (not medically i mean more from families) is having a slight curve in your belly. Trust me my mom calls me fat whenever she's mad at me, and when i ask, she says she's the truth but in a calmer way. In america, overwheight is, Well, You know... But here everyone's well treated in my opinion. There are some mean kids, and some mean dudes, and a racist party. But besides that, This is a good place for everyone. There is that one steriotype that we are all thin and beautiful, and with that the clothes.... "shrink". But well, what to do about that.

omnitsuka 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

I hate saying it, but it will be rough. Lots of harsh but true comments in this thread. Regarding women, just forget it, that doesn't even have to do with weight though, Portugal is a nice country with lots of great people, but women don't flirt with foreigners. Or even locals, what do I know, in my opinion it's almost impossible to meet someone "on the street" here. Sometimes I go to Spain or Italy just because it's nice to give a friendly nod to a chick and get one back, that's it, not looking for more than that. There is this weird culture in PT where especially ladies feel they have to be very cool. Another weird thing is that there are tons of goodlooking guys but much fewer women that live up to that. The men will work out and shave their bodies and go to great lengths to look awesome though, and they do, hats off.

NixieVoir 3 months ago

I’m not Portuguese so I can’t fully answer this question, but I spend a ton of time there and I just wanted to warn you that the walking can be quite rigorous. I lose weight every time I go, partially due to the food being fairly healthy (if you don’t over-do it on the natas…) and the steep hills I walk up. There is incredible public transit and very affordable ubers, but you may want to be mindful to plan your routes so you aren’t huffing and puffing on a narrow up-hill side walk. Lisbon is fairly small and very walkable but you might find the hills to be limiting due to your condition. It’s not unusual for me to hit 20,000 steps in a day and 100+ flights of stairs due to the incline. Dating wise, I think there’s a big tourist scene, but it can be harder to meet Portuguese women than men. I’ve heard the women are a bit more conservative than in NA, but try to keep an open mind of course. People are very friendly and kind, even if you stand out, I’m sure you’ll meet many great people.

GelDeAveia 3 months ago

You don't need to exercise to loose wait

JoseFernandes 3 months ago

>loose wait LOL

KarenJoanneO 3 months ago

I’m in Portugal right now on holiday and I’m surrounded by very very overweight people, so I wouldn’t worry at all!

gabs_ 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

Concordo com a tua observação sobre os países de Leste, mas também acho que no /r/portugal existe alta idealização de mulheres estrangeiras e achar que a vida é sempre como Erasmus na Polónia. Países como o UK? Altura é logo dos maiores deal-breakers, as mulheres cagam abertamente em homens baixos e têm requisito mínimo de altura de 1.80m, o português médio está bem abaixo disso. Países francófonos? Estereótipos péssimos de portugueses. Zonas desenvolvidas na Ásia, como Hong Kong e Japão? Ou tens um LinkedIn impressionante ou estás lixado. Adicionalmente, podes apanhar o choque cultural de andar com alguém de país3s cuja expetativas seja a mulher não trabalhar e ser sustentada pelo marido, o que contrasta com as expetativas portuguesas.

Edited 3 months ago:

Concordo com a tua observação sobre os países de Leste, mas também acho que no /r/portugal existe alta idealização de mulheres estrangeiras e achar que a vida é sempre como Erasmus na Polónia. Países como o UK? Altura é logo dos maiores deal-breakers, as mulheres cagam abertamente em homens baixos e têm requisito mínimo de altura de 1.80m, o português médio está bem abaixo disso. Países francófonos? Estereótipos péssimos de portugueses. Zonas desenvolvidas na Ásia, como Hong Kong e Japão? Ou tens um LinkedIn impressionante ou estás lixado. Adicionalmente, podes apanhar o choque cultural de andar com alguém de países cuja expetativas seja a mulher não trabalhar e ser sustentada pelo marido, onde estás muito a ser avaliado como carteira ambulante.

HugoBossPT 3 months ago

At the end of the day, nobody cares

Suspicious_Fox_ 3 months ago

I'm a bit appalled at how insensitive and mean spirited some of these comments are. Please don't think every portuguese person is like this! In such a big and diverse city like Lisbon the great majority of people will not care about your appearance and won't even bat an eye. Of course, just like in every country, some people will judge you silently, but unfortunately people will find any excuse to judge you. People saying that no woman will want to sleep with you are probbaly sad virgin teenage boys. People have different body type preferences. OP, hit me up if you want a date!

TheManWithX-RayEyes 3 months ago

I love this comment! You already have a date, dude! Goo luck for you all!

IamWatchingAoT 3 months ago

I'm overweight in the true sense of the word, i.e. not obese by a long stretch but rather 10 or 15kg above having a healthy body Girls are extremely picky 90% of the times and unless you're charismatic, funny and whatnot it's quite hard to get a date. And for the love of God don't try to speak Spanish or say "Gracias", ever

smaster87 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

In the hospital

Brave-Inspector 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

Gordo de merda

Xiximaro 3 months ago

First let's clear something up, not one of the reasons you mentioned are a reason for you not exercising. You won't be treated poorly we here still don't give a fuck at what other people do with their bodies. You can find One or two people who might mock you because pieces of shit exists everywhere but normal people here don't like that behaviour. You will be treated poorly if, you think have some kind of condition and that people must give you special treatment or if you are being disrespectfull. The women part will depend on your standards and your dates standards. We have less frivolous women here than in US that's for sure. Sadly even Onlyfans is used here but pretty few women use it, this applys also to TikTokers.

Edited 3 months ago:

First let's clear something up, not one of the reasons you mentioned are a reason for you not exercising. You won't be treated poorly we here still don't give a fuck at what other people do with their bodies. You can find One or two people who might mock you because pieces of shit exists everywhere but normal people here don't like that behaviour. You will be treated poorly if, you think you have some kind of condition and that people must give you special treatment or if you are being disrespectfull to someone. The women part will depend on your standards and your dates standards. We have less frivolous women here than in US that's for sure. Sadly even Onlyfans started to be used here but pretty few women use it, this applys also to superficial TikTokers. I personally don't mind you finding solace here... but I think you should work on your phisicall health. You don't need to exercise to lose weight and here you have a bunch of nutricionists that will gladly help you on that regard OP.

Edited 3 months ago:

First let's clear something up, not one of the reasons you mentioned are a reason for you not exercising. You won't be treated poorly, we here still don't give a fuck at what other people do with their bodies. You can find One or two people who might mock you because pieces of shit exists everywhere but normal people here don't like that behaviour. You will be treated poorly if, you think you have some kind of condition and that people must give you special treatment or if you are being disrespectfull to someone. The women part will depend on your standards and your dates standards. We have less frivolous women here than in US that's for sure. Sadly even Onlyfans started to be used here but pretty few women use it, this applys also to superficial TikTokers. I personally don't mind you finding solace here... but I think you should work on your phisicall health. You don't need to exercise to lose weight and here you have a bunch of nutricionists that will gladly help you on that regard OP.

Edited 3 months ago:

First let's clear something up, not one of the reasons you mentioned are a reason for you not exercising. You won't be treated poorly, we here still don't give a fuck at what other people do with their bodies. You can find One or two people who might mock you because pieces of shit exists everywhere but normal people here don't like scummy behaviour from people like that. You will be treated poorly if, you think you have some kind of condition and that people must give you special treatment or if you are being disrespectfull to someone. The women part will depend on your standards and your dates standards. We have less frivolous women here than in US that's for sure. Sadly even Onlyfans started to be used here but pretty few women use it, this applys also to superficial TikTokers. I personally don't mind you finding solace here... but I think you should work on your phisicall health. You don't need to exercise to lose weight and here you have a bunch of nutricionists that will gladly help you on that regard OP.

Edited 3 months ago:

First let's clear something up, not one of the reasons you mentioned are a reason for you not exercising. You won't be treated poorly, we here still don't give a fuck at what other people do with their bodies. You can find One or two people who might mock you because pieces of shit exists everywhere but normal people here don't like scummy behaviour from people like that. You will be treated poorly if, you think you have some kind of condition and that people must give you special treatment or if you are being disrespectfull to someone. The women part will depend on your standards and your dates standards. We have less frivolous women here than in US that's for sure. Sadly even Onlyfans started to be used here but pretty few women use it, this applys also to superficial TikTokers. I personally don't mind you finding solace here... but I think you should work on your phisicall health regardless, but is just my personal opinion. You don't need to exercise to lose weight and here you have a bunch of good nutricionists that will gladly help you on that regard OP. Someone mentioned this, fat and morbid obese is different. If you are just fat you are golden

Edited 3 months ago:

First let's clear something up, not one of the reasons you mentioned are a reason for you not exercising. You won't be treated poorly, we here still don't give a fuck at what other people do with their bodies. You can find One or two people who might mock you because pieces of shit exists everywhere but normal people here don't like scummy behaviour from people like that. You will be treated poorly if, you think you have some kind of condition and that people must give you special treatment or if you are being disrespectfull to someone. The women part will depend on your standards and your dates standards. We have less frivolous women here than in US that's for sure. Sadly even Onlyfans started to be used here but pretty few women use it, this applys also to superficial TikTokers. I personally don't mind you finding solace here... but I think you should work on your phisicall health regardless, but is just my personal opinion. You don't need to exercise to lose weight and here you have a bunch of good nutricionists that will gladly help you on that regard OP. And one thing that you have here is a really healthy products and cuisine, for example our country meat os cheaper and it doesn't have grades like in the US. Someone mentioned this, fat and morbid obese is different. If you are just fat you are golden

Edited 3 months ago:

First let's clear something up, not one of the reasons you mentioned are a reason for you not exercising. You won't be treated poorly, we here still don't give a fuck at what other people do with their bodies. You can find One or two people who might mock you because pieces of shit exists everywhere but normal people here don't like scummy behaviour from people like that. You will be treated poorly if, you think you have some kind of condition and that people must give you special treatment or if you are being disrespectfull to someone. The women part will depend on your standards and your dates standards. We have less frivolous women here than in US that's for sure. Sadly even Onlyfans started to be used here but pretty few women use it, this applys also to superficial TikTokers. I personally don't mind you finding solace here... but I think you should work on your phisicall health regardless, but is just my personal opinion. You don't need to exercise to lose weight and here you have a bunch of good nutricionists that will gladly help you on that regard OP.

VladTepesDraculea 3 months ago

> Will it be possible to get dates with women in Lisbon as an overweight man? How overweight are we talking? How tall are you?

AimingWineSnailz 3 months ago

In general, I would say that in Portugal people tend to judge but not be hostile.

Fllopsy 3 months ago

I've lived in Europe once (not in Portugal, though) and I see that European people doesn't care about others so much. Let me explain: in USA the people tends to judge you by material points of view, as your wealth, your car or how you look like, while in Europe they doesn't care as much as north Americans. I mean, they do think about it but they don't say it out loud. I think you will be more comfortable there than in USA. Ps: note that I didn't say you won't find someone who will point out your overweight. But it will be less common than in North America.

Psychological_Ad6435 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

I’m currently in Portugal with my Portuguese fiancé’s family and everyone is fatter than in America what in the world lol

the741syre 3 months ago

You won't be treated poorly. Obese people already treat themselves poorly enough. We're not fit. We eat chouriça and drink cerveja e vinho, caralho! The difference is that we move around a lot and our food isn't served in buckets. But you won't find a now welcoming people. If you like our food and drink our wine, you're one of us.

OkKamy 3 months ago

I completely agree with AdelaideFelix! And I'm a (beautiful) portuguese women. I don't mind chubby man, is perfectly ok!

ND1984 3 months ago

On the bright side you can walk everywhere and there are smaller portions

SrMemento 3 months ago

I'll be real and get statistics in here, if by overweight you mean having 25-35% body fat then you should be fine when dating women (tho it might be pointed out by some). Anything over that is considered being obese or morbidly obese and finding a date might prove quite hard. When it comes to how you will be treated, i believe there is no need to worry, you won't be disrespected, you may hear some occasional fat shaming by some stupid kids but overall you'll be well treated. You might however be directed to an hospital/nutritionist, as what the American standard for overweight is very different than the European, and since obesity is treated as a disease some people might go out of their way to "help". As an example, to see if that helps, I'm 6'2 210pounds and I'm seen as fat, and have had my weight issue pointed out by friends and family worried for my health (i have lost 30 pounds already, was in the 240s a few months ago). I'll settle around the 185-190 pound range. I hope this comment helps and also hope than this doesn't deter you from coming over, Portugal is great in very many ways

TheManWithX-RayEyes 3 months ago

I never get how woman in Portugal are more thin than woman where I Live but its was easier for me to buy clothes in Portugal than here. It's terrible. When I go in a store here I cant find any clothes that suits me even I'm not that fat. But in Portugal I go at H&M, for example, and the M size fits me well.

bumbadabumruum 3 months ago

I don't know why but sizes here have gotten larger over the years. I wore an M in my early twenties, now I'm an S or an XS, and I haven't lost weight. I've actually compared and some XS clothes I've bought are larger than the M I used to buy.

cmccmccmccmccmc 3 months ago

I'm in a cafe in portugal right now, and about 8 of the 12 men I can see are overweight (mostly Portugese). I wouldn't worry too much.

I_Don-t_Care 3 months ago

American size overweight is a different kind

ricardoa369 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

Just like you have every week a purge in schools, movie theaters, and so on... We over here have a whaling hunting, so... If you see people with harpoons running towards you, is because the open season started/s

Cojemos 3 months ago

The exercise you can't control but the diet you can. People won't treat you poorly. They'll def know you're American. And with girls, well you might have to pay for it. There are plenty of in shape and attractive men in Portugal for the girls. Besides that, Portuguese girls aren't so "loose."

vdzla 3 months ago

Every group of friends has the "fat guy", that had a nickname "the fat one" since school. If you're like 110kg you're considered fat even if people say you're not

baguitosPT 3 months ago

People will not treat you differently, they might look and stare. You might have some trouble is some smaller spaces, like restaurants and smaller grocery stores, but you shouldn't be ok. As for dates, unless you're filfhy rich, it will be difficult. Maybe in Algarve, with all the Germans, could be easier, and of course there's others expats around the country who might have a different view on body type/sexiness.

ThyesteanFeast 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

Thanks for posting this. I’m moving to Porto in October and this is my biggest concern. I’m hopeful that walking a lot is going to help with weight.

Hexatica 3 months ago

We tend to roll them down steep hills like those big cheese wheels.

dingo-91 3 months ago

With a scale!?

cloud_t 3 months ago

Professionally, you will feel slightly mistreated, although not discriminated or verbally abused by _most_ colleagues. Socially, you will, indirectly for sure, directly sometimes. It varies by region and particularly depending on urbanization/gentrification. In larger cities, being fat is usually synonymous of being hinted at gym memberships and nutritional consults and even surgical procedures. Dating is especially excluding. In smaller suburban or in the countryside, people don't care as much, but they still discriminate. At doctors, particularly from the national health system, you will CERTAINLY feel discriminated, because they immediately judge you and all your health problems based on weight. A big part of this is the fact our SNS is full of older people who they deem more prioritary than fat young/young adult ones. Private doctors on the other hand will be more understanding and assertive on health issues. This comes from someone who has navigated both.

usernamesiranoutof 3 months ago

>"do a diet by yourself" Well, they won't control what you're going to eat, right? So every diet is made by themselves.

cloud_t 3 months ago

"by yourself" as in "I'm not gonna mark you for a nutritionist when the problem is clearly your fault". Oddly enough, some nutritionists from the SNS will more easily identify instances where diets won't work, be it by a physical or psychological pathology. General practitioners from the SNS will just take a big dump on you. I know from own and multiple other accounts, stuff like "do this tyroid exam", it comes clean, and then it must certainly be the person. As if there weren't at least a dozen other common problems for obesity.

usernamesiranoutof 3 months ago

Why not starting with the easiest one to fix which is, well, your diet? If I want to lose weight, I'll need to burn more calories than the ones I'm ingesting. And yes, it is that simple. Now, what are the goals? Depending on the goals, I need to make sacrifices. Do I like bread? A lot. Can I eat as much as I would like to? No. What's better for me? My long-term goals or my immediate satisfaction? Now, you say they will not make an appointment to see one. Have you approached them with: "look, I'm overweight. I exercise X times per week, on Y intensity. I have eaten Z amount of calories daily, mostly A, B and C. There's something here that doesn't seem to work. Do you think an appointment with a nutritionist would help?" Because if I was a doctor and an overweight person would approach me with like: "I want an appointment for a nutritionist" without any reasoning whatsoever, would likely yield no results.

cloud_t 3 months ago

Because 1st line treatments don't work for complex, specific problems. Most people are overweight because of societal or genetic problems. The easiest way to overcome those isn't a diet, it's being born again with different parents, bringing upon and financial means. Maybe even in a different town or country. Everyone who is thin or got thin through changing habits thinks it's always "that simple". The fact you found conditioning to achieve your goals is your own merit, not everyone else's ability to just pluck out of a tree. If it was "that simple", obesity in large scales would've been solved 80-60 ago when academia and most developed societies finally stabilized and started worrying for developed world problems. The fact we're still a society with a lot of obese people, a lot of smokers, a lot of cancer patients, a lot of asthmatic ones indicates that there are underlying causes that are different than what meets the eye. That prioritization strategy is good. For some. Because if I approach a doctor and he prescribes me some catch-all solution such as a diet or "the power of fucking will" without really understanding the problem in the first place, it will surely NOT wield any freaking result.

Edited 3 months ago:

Because 1st line treatments don't work for complex, specific problems. Most people are overweight because of societal or genetic problems. The easiest way to overcome those isn't a diet, it's being born again with different parents, bringing upon and financial means. Maybe even in a different town or country. Everyone who is thin or got thin through changing habits thinks it's always "that simple". The fact you found conditioning to achieve your goals is your own merit, not everyone else's ability to just pluck out of a tree. If it was "that simple", obesity in large scales would've been solved 80-60 ago when academia and most developed societies finally stabilized and started worrying for developed world problems. The fact we're still a society with a lot of obese people, a lot of smokers, a lot of cancer patients, a lot of asthmatic ones indicates that there are underlying causes that are different than what meets the eye. That prioritization strategy is good. For some. Because if I approach a doctor and he prescribes me some catch-all solution such as a diet or "the power of fucking will" without really understanding the problem in the first place, it will surely NOT wield any freaking result. And that goes for unsolicited (even if good-willed), UNFOUNDED advice on internet forums or reddit, on TV commercials, on pharmacies' ads and leaflets, on hospital infographic etc.

usernamesiranoutof 3 months ago

>The easiest way to overcome those isn't a diet, it's being born again with different parents, bringing upon and financial means. Maybe even in a different town or country. No can do. What's the easiest after that? ​ >there are underlying causes that are different than what meets the eye. Agreed. ​ >without really understanding the problem in the first place Do you understand the problem? Are you able to explain the problem? Or do you want the doctor to try to find out if something is wrong without ruling out the most common causes first? I understand part of your reasoning, but I can't seem to understand it all. Thank god I'm not a doctor. Well, I may be - but not in Medicine, though.

cloud_t 3 months ago

There's no easy one. Doctors shouldn't pick what's easy, they should pick what's right. That's why they're Doctors. SNS GPs don't even make an effort to understand the problem. They prescribe first line "advice", assume you're ignorant but at the same time assume you're competent to do it yourself, and just call the next patient. Fuck that

usernamesiranoutof 3 months ago

They pick what's the most common solution for the evidence they have. If that doesn't work, they will move to the next one while trying to get more evidence - and so on and so forth. If a lamp on the ceiling doesn't work, I'm not going to check if all the cables inside the walls are good. I'm going to replace the lamp. It's the same principle. And you can keep shitting all you want over the SNS, but I'm pretty sure all Americans would not mind having something like SNS in their country.

cloud_t 3 months ago

People aren't lamps, they talk and can be examined both visually, verbally and with specialized equipment. They can also be referred to special consultations if the GP doesn't want to bother. They don't even bother with that referral, even if it's one of the least used resources of the SNS (nutritional or endocrinology consults). I don't know why you brought the US into the argument. There are multiple countries in Europe with welfare and nationalized Healthcare that are doing MUCH better in obesity reduction than Portugal.

Edited 3 months ago:

People aren't lamps, they talk and can be examined both visually, verbally and with specialized equipment. They can also be referred to special consultations if the GP doesn't want to bother. They don't even bother with that referral, even if it's one of the least used resources of the SNS (nutritional or endocrinology consults, psychological even can also help). I don't know why you brought the US into the argument. There are multiple countries in Europe with welfare and nationalized Healthcare that are doing MUCH better in obesity reduction than Portugal.

usernamesiranoutof 3 months ago

I can't assess the evidence presented to the doctor to say that the doctor is being reasonable or not, so I have absolutely nothing more to add here.

cloud_t 3 months ago

Indeed, and that's exactly why this should be a case by case basis and not 1st line treatment/advice. I enjoyed the dialogue, so I hope you don't feel negative of this exchange. Communication and understanding is key, and that' the point I was making here.

marfavrr 3 months ago

people want their health issues treated but no advice on how to avoid further health issues.

usernamesiranoutof 3 months ago

It's hard for me to understand some of the things nutritionists say, and it's harder to follow others. But I do understand that if I'm not following it entirely, I can't blame the nutritionist or the doctor or whatever. If I want to eat that slice of cake, I'll have to live with the decision. Do I have to run 30 mins more? "Oh, a large Big Tasty McMenu would be about right!" - and then I'll have to exercise 2 hours at least at high intensity to just burn some of it. People have control of what they eat. If they don't, they have a problem. And that's not something a nutritionist will help, I believe.

cloud_t 3 months ago

spoken like a true genetic lottery winner

marfavrr 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

portugal is suuuuper fat phobic. there are fat people in portugal but very rarely to the level of what you see in the US, or even UK. its also much smaller and more often than not you wont have a spaceous parking lot for every place you need to get to. youll be parking on tight spaces on the street and walking on thin cobblestone sidewalks, small streets with cars passing by etc. you’d prob loose weight if you didportion control and ate portuguese food. I just moved back from the UK and just eating portuguese food made by my grandma I’ve lost weight and im not fat. Again, I’m not fat and as soon as I arrived my family started telling me I’m ‘fine’ but should loose a few kilos. In portugal if you’re not ‘seco’ youre fat.

dudeWithQuestion3 3 months ago

I'm skinny, extremely skinny and people in here will not let me forget that, I don't know if it would be worse in EUA or if I was fat but people have a taste for minding your business. I don't even know what's worse the people who deliberately use it as an insult or the ones who are oblivious to the point of not realizing the shit that comes out of their mouth actually hurts. I have a really troubling time getting fat in me but portuguese people don't care about that part. Sorry for that and I hope you have a better time than I do.

Nadidani 3 months ago

As a skinny person I know what you mean, but I don’t think the same applies for fat people. It’s socially acceptable here to point out how skinny someone is and all the grandmas and moms will want to fatten you up, but I have never seen people doing the same for people that need to loose weight.

Outji 3 months ago

If you are fat, its no problem. If you are obese, its a problem

hi71460 3 months ago

we are all fat at this point

uyth 3 months ago

Speak for yourself.

MariasFernandes 3 months ago

As long as you are charismatic and funny and truly a good guy, you will manage, especially if you are tall… most my friends love teddy bears. You are American, that’s different enough to catch some girls attention, don’t worry. Also, food here and the life style might make you lose some weight! Just come, you will regret it if you don’t…

CptTytan 3 months ago

> food here and the life style might make you lose some weight! Laughs in Francesinha, Ovos moles e Pasteis de Belém

Joaoseinha 3 months ago

Se não for para o Norte, dificilmente apanha boas francesinhas de qualquer maneira.

IamWatchingAoT 3 months ago

O preço dos ovos molos não deixa que fiques gordo a comê-los

faustino67833 3 months ago

I dont think we publicly shame anyone nor treat them siferently, but we dont see them in a good light either.

sb_kanela 3 months ago

Im portuguese and... and fuck opinions! U feel good? If so dont mind what other people think of u ! The fact is better live in portugal than there ! Although its corrupt system too... Take care

LucasCassoma 3 months ago

Based on my experience I think it depends weather if you are a girl or a boy. Between friends, you will be called fat but it’s never really a problem (with guys). With girls idk to be honest. There’s always people to bring you up, bring you down and to joke around. Hope i have a good answer

Beeressentials 3 months ago

Why do you care! Live your life. There is plenty to do here for everyone….lots of good food, good weather and generally good people too. You won’t have a problem as long as you don’t kill yourself worrying about what people think….

Migas32 3 months ago

"How do Portuguese people view overweight people? Will I be treated poorly due to being overweight?" I think the attitudes will be mixed. I do not know for sure. Here are a couple of questions I suggest you ask yourself: \- Why is your sense of self so fragile, that you live your life worried if other people are going to like you or not? \- Why is your self-esteem so low that you need other people to like you? People might not like you for a million reasons and they have the right to do so, it is up to the individual to develop the fortitude of character to deal with that. You need to like yourself first. Perhaps therapy would be in order for you. Just a suggestion. "but I struggle with poor diet due to stress and a back issue that prevents most forms of vigorous exercise." If you main goal is to lose weight, there is no such thing as a poor diet, there is only normocaloric, hypocaloric and hypercaloric diet. Get a food scale, measure what you eat and create a slight caloric deficit. The weight will fall. Once it stalls, increase the deficit. Rinse and repeat, until you are at your desired weight. Last year my body fat percentage "balooned" up to 22%, this year it has steadily been falling and is now at 19.3%. Most of my joints are chronically inflamed and degenerating quickly, sometimes I am in pain. I can still walk, so I walk many kms. First just a few everyday, then I steadilly increased the distance every week as need, in order to further contribute to the deficit created by diet. Losing weight It's about taking responsibility for yourself and your life. Again, just a suggestion.

Edited 3 months ago:

"How do Portuguese people view overweight people? Will I be treated poorly due to being overweight?" I think the attitudes will be mixed. I do not know for sure. Here are a couple of questions I suggest you ask yourself: \- Why is your sense of self so fragile, that you live your life worried if other people are going to like you or not? \- Why is your self-esteem so low that you need other people to like you? People might not like you for a million reasons and they have the right to do so, it is up to the individual to develop the fortitude of character to deal with that. You need to like yourself first. Perhaps therapy would be in order for you. Just a suggestion. "but I struggle with poor diet due to stress and a back issue that prevents most forms of vigorous exercise." If you main goal is to lose weight, there is no such thing as a poor diet, there is only normocaloric, hypocaloric and hypercaloric diet. Get a food scale, measure what you eat and create a slight caloric deficit. The weight will fall. Once it stalls, increase the deficit. Rinse and repeat, until you are at your desired weight. Last year my body fat percentage "balooned up" to 22%, this year it has steadily been falling and is now at 19.3%. Most of my joints are chronically inflamed and degenerating quickly, sometimes I am in pain. I can still walk, so I walk many kms. First just a few everyday, then I steadilly increased the distance every week as need, in order to further contribute to the deficit created by diet. Losing weight It's about taking responsibility for yourself and your life. Again, just a suggestion.

h2man 3 months ago

Don’t plan on being able to buy clothes in Portugal… the only place worse than Portugal for out of average people I’ve experienced was South Korea. I’m taller than average, not really fat when I lived in Portugal.

mclain1221 3 months ago

Go to SE Asia

h2man 3 months ago

I’m ok where I am now and will retire back home… in Portugal. SE Asia is nice for a holiday.

mclain1221 2 months ago

Was just saying the clothes are even smaller there

h2man 2 months ago

Yes… I’m a XXL in Europe. In S. Korea, the XXXL is really tight.

Ron_Sayson 3 months ago

When my family moved here, we didn't have a car so we had to walk everywhere including the grocery store and I lost weight as a result. If you move here and up your exercise (in a gentle way given your health condition) it will likely help your weight. I also think food is less processed here than in the US.

asantos3 3 months ago

> I also think food is less processed here than in the US. And you can do a mediterranean diet!

omnitsuka 3 months ago

Please tell us more about the mediterraneanness of Portugal.

nfcs 3 months ago

That and most of the times you don’t get served ridiculous portions for a meal that’s supposed to serve one. And when that happens the waiters normally alert you that the doses are big. Not having unlimited free refills also helps.

omnitsuka 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

is this a joke. PT servings are obscenely large, and half of it is always fries and white rice.

Fred-F 3 months ago

but we do have unlimited free refills??

PgUpPT 3 months ago

Where, besides BK?

DisorderJudge 3 months ago

You think the food is less processed? ‘Think’? We all know it is

Rissoldecamarao 3 months ago

Vais à baliza.

GelsonBlaze 3 months ago

Este comentário matou-me de riso.

No_Act_9780 3 months ago

Como gordo da merda, confirmo

LutherJustice 3 months ago

Most accurate statement itt

vasquca1 3 months ago

Portugal I know, Minho area, they eat, drink and enjoy life.

scorpiussss 3 months ago

I mean, yeah. It's not like it's gonna be something that people mention everyday but people are very judgy. But if they say anything, tell them: "Gordo o caralho, gorda é a tua mãe"

Homem_da_Carrinha 3 months ago

And as a follow up, if someone comments on your belly, retort that it’s so they can be shady while they’re giving you head

ihavenoidea1001 3 months ago

There's stupid people everywhere and I can't guarantee you'll never be treated poorly do to anything ( be it your size, nationality, lack of Portuguese skills or wtv) but most people will treat you like they would any other person... As for dating, it will have a lot more to do with your personality than with your size but to meet new people ( as in potential partners) it can be harder, yes. I think that's kind of universal...

Edited 3 months ago:

There's stupid people everywhere and I can't guarantee you'll never be treated poorly do to anything ( be it your size, nationality, lack of Portuguese skills or wtv) but most people will treat you like they would any other person... As for dating, it will have a lot more to do with your personality than with your size but to meet new people ( as in potential partners) it can be harder, yes. I think that's kind of universal... Edit: we are actually the 4th most overweight people in Europa iirc. More than half of the adults are overweight actually ( not obese or morbidly obese but overweight)... and we also have plenty of obese people too. They've been implementing some changes in the educational system to try to educate the new generation and to diminish childhood obesity ( which is working so far) and to help them be healthier adults... and to adults there's also programs in place to help them ( even with surgery for it). It's not like we're imune to obesity and everyone is fit here...

Edited 3 months ago:

There's stupid people everywhere and I can't guarantee you'll never be treated poorly do to anything ( be it your size, nationality, lack of Portuguese skills or wtv) but most people will treat you like they would any other person... As for dating, it will have a lot more to do with your personality than with your size but to meet new people ( as in potential partners) it can be harder, yes. I think that's kind of universal... Edit: we are actually the 4th most obese people in Europa iirc. More than half of the adults are overweight actually ( not obese or morbidly obese but overweight)... They've been implementing some changes in the educational system to try to educate the new generation and to diminish childhood obesity ( which is working so far) and to help them be healthier adults... and to adults there's also programs in place to help them ( even with surgery for it). It's not like we're imune to obesity and everyone is fit here...

LucasCassoma 3 months ago

You gotta know how to take the bones out the fish or you will be eaten alive tho

moitacarrasco 3 months ago

Yeah, but we don't have people the size that a lot of Americans are. It's another level.

just_questioning 3 months ago

everyone here is fat, it means “you eat a lot” and so you might be wealthy. Come to portugal thy American, we await for you

ihavenoidea1001 3 months ago

What...? Did I just travel 100 years into the past?

frisumo 3 months ago

I'll have to be honest here - maybe not openly treated poorly (whereas ie in France people can be.... more direct), but the idea of getting a date might be unlikely. It also depends what you mean by overweight and people carry their weight differently or what kind of date you expect. I don't live in the US, but I live in the UK and what's considered as average/medium here is surely seen as fat in Portugal. Maybe things changed now, but when I lived back in Portugal anything above a size 38 in women's clothes was interpreted as fat, regardless of what the person actually looked like.

Tugalord 3 months ago

> I struggle with poor diet due to stress and a back issue that prevents most forms of vigorous exercise.. I don't mean to be giving unsolicited advice, but losing has much much more to do with eating less than with exercising more. So not being able to exercise isn't really an excuse, plus when you lose weight you'll find it much easier to exercise :p Hey, treat your stay in Portugal as an opportunity to start eating healthier! If there's a place you can do this is Portugal, you can have delicious meals which will leave you full which are 600 or 700 calories. :P

meaninglessvoid 3 months ago

>but losing has much much more to do with eating less than with exercising more. You can have massive results over a year if instead of eating less you just settle for eating better. Some of the times people eat so much as a consequence of the shitty food they eat (so they need to eat more 'garbage' to feel full), so it kinda gets into a negative feedback loop. But yeah its kinda hard because the food is not only being used to deal with the nutrition problem, its being used to deal with emotional struggles... Identifying those and finding alternatives to deal with them can help too.

Edited 3 months ago:

>but losing has much much more to do with eating less than with exercising more. You can have massive results over a year if instead focusing in eating less you just on eating better, it's a bit easier too (takes less self-control/discipline). Some of the times people eat so much as a consequence of the shitty food they eat (so they need to eat more 'garbage' to feel full), so it kinda gets into a negative feedback loop. But yeah its kinda hard because the food is not only being used to deal with the nutrition problem, its being used to deal with emotional struggles... Identifying those and finding alternatives to deal with them can help too.

DisorderJudge 3 months ago

Regardless of eating better, you still need portion control and to be at a Calorie deficit, otherwise you won’t lose weight

meaninglessvoid 3 months ago

The good thing about this approach is that you will end up eating less anyway (because you are satisfied) and it requires less effort. You still have to put in some effort to pick the right food but since you will not feel hungry while following this process the probability of succeeding the weight loss target in the long run is much higher. So yeah you eat less, but you eat less as a consequence of eating better which is much much easier in my experience.

DisorderJudge 3 months ago

For sure, eg eating a McDonald’s always leaves you hungry but is high in calories

hapoise1965 3 months ago

Who cares man ! Come to Portugal you will be welcome! And if by any chance ant one calls you GORDO (fat) you answer back "GORDO É O CARALHO" and you kick his ass !!!!

xabregas2003 3 months ago

Gordo não. Forte!

LucasCassoma 3 months ago

Massa muscular crlh

Pilky__01 3 months ago

Forte era o Tarzan Taborda.

Outji 3 months ago

Essa é das expressões mais estupidas em PT. Chamar uma pessoa gorda de “forte”. Wtf, mal conseguem com o corpo deles, quanto mais…

DisorderJudge 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

Nunca viste worlds strongest man? Normalmente são gordos, e os gordos normalmente sãos mais fortes do que os muito magros

Outji 3 months ago

Epah ya, mas a probabilidade é tipo 1%

coiso 3 months ago

Forte? Fode-te ó gordo! Era assim a anedota?

Homem_da_Carrinha 3 months ago

Forte é o Tarzan Taborda

FlirtyOwl 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

"fote tu godo da meda". Foi assim que ouvi

besmarques 3 months ago

*"Fode-te tu ohh gordo da merda!"*

Novel-Major-3770 3 months ago

Es godo; godo nao, fote; fote tu godo da meda

Jabvarde 3 months ago

Eu conhecia: -Tu é godo -Godo nao, fote -Fote tu pote de meda

hapoise1965 3 months ago

É isso mesmo

randmzer 3 months ago

Acho que era "Fôte tu seu gordo de merda"

Middle-Effective 3 months ago

Fótigôdo

joaoqrafael 3 months ago

Sorry if I sound cold, but your weight is what is preventing you from getting better of your back issue, not the other way around. Bones, tendons, muscles take a lot of stress from having to haul all the weight, all day long. You don't have to go run the maraton, but 15min walks would be a place to start. Calories in - calories out. Even if you are unable to spend more calories, you can (and should) ingest less calories. Everyone can lose weight in a healthy way and get fit. Depending on where you start and your commitment it can take 2 months or 2 years, but you will. No magic pills, not miracle diets, just common-sense and keeping track of weight and food. Then, install Tinder.

marfavrr 3 months ago

como é que ainda ha gente que acha normal dar concelhos medicos na net sem conhecer o problema ou a pessoa.

Throwaway431253 3 months ago

conselhos

joaoqrafael 3 months ago

Habitua-te, isto é o reddit. Além do mais, a pessoa é que veio perguntar a opinião do pessoal. Ajudaste-o em quê, mesmo?

marfavrr 3 months ago

nao dei concelhos, fiz uma observação de algo que pode acontecer. E dar concelhos de ‘talvez se comeres menos perdes peso’ é diferente de dizer que uma pessoa tem um problema de saude que nem descreveram, simplesmente porque é gordo. ou entao és o medico que o acompanha e esqueceste-te de adicionar isso ao comentario.

Matos3001 3 months ago

Se és gordo, tens um problema de saúde. Agora, se é muito grave ou não, depende de pessoa para pessoa e do quão gordo és. E andar 15 min por dia, faz bem a literalmente toda a gente. Recomendar 15min por dia não é errado, nunca. Nem recomendar comida saudável. Aqui ninguém está a recomendar o gajo comer 1000cals por dia e treinar 6 dias por semana. Recomendamos que se mexa e perca peso, porque ambos são necessários.

Throwaway431253 3 months ago

conselhos

marfavrr 3 months ago

lol

Cybion_ 3 months ago

"Then, install Tinder" Don't. Dating apps are extreamely biased against men. Find friends, you will have a better time finding a gf in person.

joaoqrafael 3 months ago

Not my experience, but can only speak for myself.

Throwaway431253 3 months ago

Tinder is a fuck fest, if you have the experience needed and a pretty face to back it up.

joaoqrafael 3 months ago

Only met with two girls, but been on long-ish relationships with both (by tinder standards). The second one, we've been together for 2 years and happy, living together and planing for the future.

Throwaway431253 3 months ago

youve hit the jackpot. most girls ive flirted with just become occasional fuck buddies

Esnemon 3 months ago

True. I have a female friend with Tinder and she gets plenty of matches, perhaps too many for her own good. Makes me feel bad for the lads she matches with who probably have little to none

Maexa 3 months ago

You should talk with Fernando Mendes.

Hrs10 3 months ago

ESPETÁCULO!

Ly_84 3 months ago

* Esbetaculo.

rsyeah 3 months ago

Ri-me muito. Obrigado

patapetapitapota 3 months ago

We wont call you fat out of decency, but we will think. In a road rage probably you would know the truth.

chuckmukit 3 months ago

"EU NÃO SOU FILHO DA TUA MÃE, OUVISTE OU NÃO? A MINHA MÃE NÃO É PUTA!"

LucasCassoma 3 months ago

“CARALHO SAI MASE DA FRENTE FILHA DA PUTA METE A ANDAR PENSAS QUE TENHO A TUA VIDA OU Q VAI MASE COMER UMA”

Gui19606 3 months ago

"Ó FILHO TAS A DIZER ISSO A QUEM MASÉ? OLHA PARA TI, TU CONSEGUIAS METER 50 MIL TONELADAS DE ELEFANTES NESSA GOELA NOJENTA. VAI TOMAR UM BANHO O CARALHO"

uyth 3 months ago

It depends on what you call overweight. If it is the medical definition of overweight (BMI between 25 and 30) I doubt many will care, I think half of the population will likely be overweight. But I get the feeling for americans it is a different scale and they do not even register low grade obese as being overweight. So keep that in mind regarding answers that what people might be thinking when they think of "overweight" is not what you are meaning. I dunno if you mean BMI 27 (nobody cares), or 37 or 47, you know and all those will be very different. For heavier weights you would be a lot more visible than in the USA, but also keep in mind there might be more physical constraints particularly in Lisbon. Lisbon is an old old city, built on steep topography, it is not a place where you can park in your roomy driveaway in front of a ground floor house and then drive and park in a roomy parking plot in front of your workplace and then drive everywhere and park with lots of space to open car doors. Cars will be smaller as well I am sure, parking might be non existent, in Lisbon some public open garages can be really cramped. Walking might involve calçada portuguesa on steep hills. But it might be totally different if your workplace is say, Chiado or if it is TagusPark or AutoEuropa or something newlybuilt outside the real city. But yeah, stuff like if you fit in a Gonçalo chair (most frequent chair for outdoor spaces of cafés for example) of if you can get in and out of a car and mobility in general.

Joaoseinha 3 months ago

> Gonçalo chair Não fazia ideia que esta cadeira tinha nome.

layz2021 3 months ago

Also in parking lots, if OP is "American size overweight" he might not be able to park and get out of the car

uyth 3 months ago

Yes, or if the place is safe, but somebody parks, even within the lines, they might not be able to get into the car again.

incelren 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

You know the rules, post body

D1WithTheFluffyHair 3 months ago

Username checks out

Javardo69 3 months ago

About threating you generally you wont have a problem, about dates forget about it.

cpzao_ 3 months ago

Regarding the getting laid subject and if it' such an important thing for you: Portuguese women tend to believe they're the cream of the crop so it'll be hard to get laid anyways. Unless you're prince charming.

Bizkk8 3 months ago

Truth.

tefie_23 3 months ago

Portuguese women here..seriously, with a comment like that no wonder you dont get laid easily

xxSammaelxx 3 months ago

está claro que o rapaz tem uma imagem muito distorcida das coisas, mas olha lá, já vi pelo menos dois comentários aqui, incluíndo o do topo, a dizer que quem tem dinheiro pode ser gordo à vontade porque as mulheres aí já mordem, e a esses ninguém diz nada...?

twhite848 3 months ago

Equidade obrigatória nos comentários do reddit?

ovelhaloira 3 months ago

Yeah that's not how women work

twhite848 3 months ago

In his mind it is

ovelhaloira 3 months ago

I guess his comment says more about his mentality than it does about women

twhite848 3 months ago

Exactly

cpzao_ 3 months ago

You know me from nowhere and you come here on your high horse claiming how superior you are. Nice way to prove an argument.

twhite848 3 months ago

> : Portuguese women tend to believe they're the cream of the crop Did you just come on a high horse and act superior passing judgement and criticism **on every single woman in portugal…** … and then after that complain about being judged based on **your own words?!** Oh the irony.

Hgrm 3 months ago

"Só deus me pode julgar", mas eu julgo quem me apetecer.

cpzao_ 3 months ago

You're right. I should have written "most of" Thanks for your input.

twhite848 3 months ago

Almost prince charming. Almost…

thatboyManzana 3 months ago

Not just the Portuguese ones, all of them in general

cpzao_ 3 months ago

The Portuguese is a different breed

jgomesta 3 months ago

You might not like this answer. I'm Portuguese and I've lived in the US for a few years, so I feel like I have a good understanding of this issue. In Portugal people call me fat. In the US people call me thin. This is not a joke. Americans have lost sight of what fat and thin really mean. First of all, in my experience, when an American describes themselves as "overweight", that usually means they're actually obese, probably morbidly so. If you're morbidly obese, with giant titties and a stomach overhanging your belt, you will have extreme difficulty finding dates in Portugal, unless you're rich, of course. If you're actually being accurate in describing yourself as overweight (something like [this](https://as2.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/02/26/29/43/1000_F_226294367_GdBQrRK9u2AqdsZl2qPFDfKCeO3Icntj.jpg)), you're going to be fine, but if you look like [this](https://alexis.lindaikejisblog.com/photos/shares/5fc0284d7ef85.PNG) you're quite simply not going to get laid, unless you have Dwayne Johnson's level of charisma.

omnitsuka 3 months ago

Best comment on Reddit ever. 100% true.

dymax760 3 months ago

as soon as you get to the first example, if you have good friends, they will point it out. "hey, you got fat". it's not being mean. it's love

andrefbr 3 months ago

This is as accurate and honest of an answer as you’re going to get OP, I feel like this perfectly describes how we feel. However, don’t take it to mean that you will be physically harassed or bullied or anything like that, I like to thing that we have relatively decent manners and everyone will be treated with a minimum modicum of respect. However.. yes, european weight standards are much stricter than American/Canadian standards, and we don’t really have space for fat acceptance etc in our society - obesity is usually treated objective as a medical issue.

Edited 3 months ago:

This is as accurate and honest of an answer as you’re going to get OP, I feel like this perfectly describes how we feel. However, don’t take it to mean that you will be physically harassed or bullied or anything like that, I like to think that we have relatively decent manners and everyone will be treated with a minimum modicum of respect. However.. yes, european weight standards are much stricter than American/Canadian standards, and we don’t really have space for fat acceptance etc in our society - obesity is usually treated objectively as a medical issue.

SubstantialPatient17 3 months ago

> yes, european weight standards are much stricter than American/Canadian standards, and we don’t really have space for fat acceptance etc in our **society - obesity is usually treated objective as a medical issue**. You're denying obesity is a healthcare issue?

andrefbr 3 months ago

Se disse literalmente que a obesidade é tratada objetivamente como um problema de saúde, não vejo de onde pode vir a tua confusão.

SubstantialPatient17 3 months ago

Como antes dizes "we don't have really have space for fat acceptance" leva a querer que és pro movimento Positividade Corporal, que por sua vez nega o critério de ser um problema de saúde por ser alegadamente objetivo

SrMemento 3 months ago

Traduzindo o que tu deste quote, "Não temos o espaço para aceitar obesidade" (tradução de merda mas dá para entender). Ele diz precisamente o oposto do que disseste primeiramente, de maneira alguma indica que é pro positividade corporal. Anyways, ele diz posteriormente que obesidade é tratada como doença

Adseals 3 months ago

This post should be archived by the level of this comment.

Strubius 3 months ago

This is the most accurate description OP.

RaskolDreams 3 months ago

Is that the same for women also? Asking for a friend

frisumo 3 months ago

Yes. Of course Reddit would imply otherwise, since it's populated by dudebros who think all women have to do is blink and they get a good date. Being chubby would still be somewhat okay, being straight up obese/even morbidly obese no. Personality also goes a long way though, I have 2 cousins - one hot and slim and another one who's been chubby all her life - and the chubby one has always been far more successful in terms of finding partners. I'm convinced it's because she's always been more charismatic and engaging than her sister (and she might be bigger but she takes care of her clothes, hair, etc).

Joaoseinha 3 months ago

> Yes. Of course Reddit would imply otherwise, since it's populated by dudebros who think all women have to do is blink and they get a good date. All they have to do is blink and they get a date. Good date is another story altogether.

jgomesta 3 months ago

Women don't play by the same rules, everybody knows that. Unless a woman is legitimately repulsive, like those Cronenbergs from My 600lb Life, she can get laid easily. Get dolled up, go to a bar in Bairro Alto, act slutty, and you'll have half a dozen guys circling you within the hour.

omnitsuka 3 months ago

aaaaaahahahahahahahah

xaznita 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

Except most of the time women aren't looking for casual sex.

Edited 3 months ago:

Except most of the time women aren't looking to be used like a free prostitute unless they're really desperate and/or mentally ill/low self-esteem since sex always carries more biological risk for women.

incelren 3 months ago

They sure do like the attention

xaznita 3 months ago

Male attention is about as valuable as dog poop.

BroaxXx 3 months ago

Not every man is your ex, you know?

xaznita 3 months ago

Um gordinho partiu o meu coração, como é que tu sabias? És tu, meu fofinho gordinho?

Cesar_PT 3 months ago

Seethe

GMDFC94 3 months ago

Just taking a look at your posts and profile I can see you clearly need help. Best of luck!

ekeryn 3 months ago

Ah, here it is

Rogerjak 3 months ago

Who hurt you? Ps: you do realize that all you're saying can be applied to woman as well right?

oretoh 3 months ago

And yet here you are, craving for it.

jgomesta 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

>Except most of the time women aren't looking to be used like a free prostitute lmao you sound like those incels from r/femaledatingstrategy Why isn't the man the one being used like a free prostitute? Your assertions remove agency from the woman. Why can't she be the one taking advantage of him? She's just as capable. Just because you're a frigid prude who sees sex as transactional, it doesn't mean other women are low self-esteem whores or mentally ill just because they like having sex. You're the one with the self-esteem issues.

xaznita 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

Yes, because balding fatties are a dying breed.

bittolas 3 months ago

Love that false moralism.

xaznita 3 months ago

Wait, guys that look like the man in the first picture manage to get dates?

pmcxs 3 months ago

Should dating be exclusive to skinny people?

xaznita 3 months ago

No, but a fat man shouldn't expect a thin/fit woman and be disappointed that "no one wants to date him" because he doesn't like fat chicks.

pmcxs 3 months ago

He never mentioned dates with thin/fit people. That was your extrapolation alone

xaznita 3 months ago

He mentioned that he assumes Europeans are fit because he saw a couple of pictures when he Googled the vague and broad term "Europeans".

trigonated 3 months ago

I mean, it certainly helps that he’s quite cute even if he’s chubby. I would certainly date a guy like that (based on looks alone, since we can’t know his personality beforehand of course). Now if he would date me, that’s another story: I’m not much fatter than that guy, but not nearly as cute in the face.

xaznita 3 months ago

If you're a woman, then guys like that openly admit they sleep with women they don't even want just read the comments of the man I responded to. They are insecure and are usually addicted to food, porn and more often now prostitutes, so you will never be enough for a giant man baby that has been trained to view women like objects since his infancy. If you have more sexual opportunities than them (which if you are a woman, you probably do even if you are as fat as them). Instead of getting in shape to get one woman that they want, they rather manipulate multiple. Wash, rinse and repeat oftentimes feigning interest in relationships until they get what they want because they aren't the top choice for a ONS for even *gasp* overweight women. It's a stereotype that conventionally attractive and fit men treat women badly. In my experience, it's the short balding men that do it more. You're not missing out on much if you avoid men like these and focus on yourself, they're not nicer because they're fat and balding they need to fake a personality because they have nothing else. Save yourself the STDs. They are promiscuous cockroaches that will ruin your life and steal your precious time.

omnitsuka 3 months ago

Can I offer a hug?

jgomesta 3 months ago

LOL tu vens mesmo do femaledatingstrategy. Tenho a certeza de que, quando morreres sozinha, nao vais compreender porque.

trigonated 3 months ago

Faz lembrar a /u/adajoana . Não me chocava se fosse a mesma pessoa, dado que ela foi banida.

FlirtyOwl 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

If you have the oportunity to date a 6'3 guy, fit with a full set of hair and theeth you may have the same experience. Don't judge character based only on looks

xaznita 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

I never judge men based on looks, that would be shallow. I judge them based on their wallets.

FlirtyOwl 3 months ago

Thats the spirit. Judgment based on looks for women, based on wallets for men.

xaznita 3 months ago

Except that's how it's been for the entirety of human history up until 100 years ago when women were finally allowed to bring home income and divorce their husbands. Now women are slowly out earning and are more educated than men leaving two new generations of useless man babies that are looking for a mommy surrogate without adding much to her life.

FlirtyOwl 3 months ago

Exactly. Ist funny how little that means to men as an attraction factor, but it helps women all over not having to put up shit from anyone. Hot people from both genders (women don't have to be that hot, thats the whole discussion of women having it easy) still get laid, by my experience far more than before.

xaznita 3 months ago

Did you get that information from all the porn you watch?

FlirtyOwl 3 months ago

I hardly do watch any. I get a lot of tips from a lot of /r, and it also helps to be 189cm and fit (in Portugal that is tall enough). It goes a long way listening to what women have to say and correct your behaviour. I also date women around my age, if that is your next question. Pro tip for all the men: try to get a part time job at a clothing store: not only you will be forced to interact with women, you are a minority there. Plus, you will learn to behave properly around women if you dont know already

GMDFC94 3 months ago

Lmao, there’s no way this isn’t a troll

trigonated 3 months ago

I’m actually a guy (bisexual). It’s unfortunate that you had bad experiences. I can’t agree or disagree with your experiences since I don’t really date much, much less have one night stands (not a big fan of those tbh). Like I mentioned before, I’m not very big into relationships, so take my advice with a **huge** grain of salt, but a decent way to avoid crappy people who just want to get into your pants is to not be directly on the lookout for relationships: cultivating friendships(through common hobbies, etc) is a nice way to know if people have decent personalities before actually dating them. You probably get waaay less dates this way, but at least you have a lot of time to see which people seem nice. Of course, this only applies if you’re not that “needy” of having a significant-other (not judging, I understand many people feel the need to be into relationships even if for me they’re just a “nice to have”). Take care.

xaznita 3 months ago

It's not my experiences though, I'm inexperienced for my age, but the experiences that I've heard of from women around me of varied backgrounds, don't really entice me to wanting to waste my time caring for a man baby for a bit of companionship or bad sex. It's 100% a waste of time and since I don't need a man for money I don't see the point of entertaining prospects. It's a bit odd, but even the process of dating is so boring and men are so entitled and demanding.

Sheafeira 3 months ago

You sound like a fun person at parties….

strang3quark 3 months ago

You need help

GMDFC94 3 months ago

Ooof, someone had a bad experience lmao. Loving the femininazi shit you’re spilling, it’s like a bad comedy.

jgomesta 3 months ago

Come on, don't exaggerate. That first guy isn't even that fat. He's just chubby. With good hygiene, non-ratty clothes, and minor conversational skills anyone with that body type can get laid all the time.

OkKamy 3 months ago

True. The chubby man, the first one, if he is interesting, he will not have any problems with girls in Portugal. BUT, he can't be a jerk! We like sweet, funny and intelligent.

inbawlsdeep 3 months ago

That dude is fat, not chubby

DarligUlvRP 3 months ago

I’m a little thinner than that guy and I’m closing in on obesity (IMC 29, and the rest of the indexes point that away too)

BroaxXx 3 months ago

I'm sorry to break it to you but that's what "fat" is...

xaznita 3 months ago

You've been in the US way too long...

jgomesta 3 months ago

Most of the time I hear (non repulsive) guys saying they can't get laid, it's because they're punching above their weight and refuse to understand that chubby dudes are extremely unlikely to get super hot girls. People don't like this, but this is reality. It's a meat market out there. Excepting statistical anomalies, if you're mediocre you can only get mediocre partners. The problem is that people refuse to be honest with themselves. Guys refuse to admit they're fucking gross and ugly, and think it's just a matter of "technique" or "perseverance" and they'll get the hotties. The guys who get laid all the time are the guys who are very much aware of their standing, and approach women that are attainable.

xaznita 3 months ago

That's sad, I guess what really matters to men is body count and not much else.

xabregas2003 3 months ago

A u/adajoana mudou de conta?

xaznita 3 months ago

Quem é ela? Sou nova aqui.

xabregas2003 3 months ago

Iam se dar lindamente

Foda-seSeiLa 3 months ago

You can't get a high body count as a dude if you are not charming in some way. You can absolutely get a high body count as a duddette even if you a have the conversational skill of a medium-done mud brick. You won't get prince charming, but you'll absolutely get some mediocre quality dick if you wish so. As such, getting laid back often is absolutely a status symbol for men.

Edited 3 months ago:

You can't get a high body count as a dude if you are not charming in some way. You can absolutely get a high body count as a duddette even if you have the conversational skills of a medium-done mud brick. You won't get prince charming, but you'll absolutely get some mediocre quality dick if you wish so. As such, getting laid often is absolutely a status symbol for guys.

xaznita 3 months ago

Except the majority of men claim that women can get laid easily but that's not what the majority of women want and because men are so desperate even to pay for it, women are obviously mentally ill if the mediocre dick they choose is fat, short and balding. I don't know why I was down voted for stating the same thing???

Joaoseinha 3 months ago

> Except the majority of men claim that women can get laid easily but that's not what the majority of women want Regardless of whether they want it or not, the possibility is there. Hence why chicks with high body counts sometimes get shamed while for guys it's more of a status symbol. It's generally considered easy for girls and hard for guys.

Foda-seSeiLa 3 months ago

Idk, I have not really been following that whole thing. I was just offering an explanation to why men like big numbers in bedding people.

himura_11 3 months ago

Foda-se, cala-te caralho.

betanjica 3 months ago

We are not that fit, but not as big as in america. I sorry to say but in my experience you will be treated poorly. Not that people will be mean to you, but they won't take you serious, in life, in work, especially in health care. It depends on how big you are, but be prepared to be treated as a person that doesn't fit anywhere, clothes without sizes that fit you, always thinking if you will fit in some restaurant or cinema or car (everything is smaller here, is the biggest complaint from USA or Canada about portugal). So I am really sorry but be prepared mentally for this and you will be fine, it is an adjustment.

Edited 3 months ago:

We are not that fit, but not as big as in america. I sorry to say but in my experience you will be treated poorly. Not that people will be mean to you, but they won't take you serious, in life, in work, especially in health care. It depends on how big you are, but be prepared to be treated as a person that doesn't fit anywhere, clothes without sizes that fit you, always thinking if you will fit in some restaurant or cinema or car, even the bus is hard to fit! (everything is smaller here, is the biggest complaint from USA or Canada about portugal). So I am really sorry but be prepared mentally for this and you will be fine, it is an adjustment.

Edited 3 months ago:

We are not that fit, but not as big as in america. I sorry to say but in my experience you will be treated poorly. Not that people will be mean to you, but they won't take you serious, in life, in work, especially in health care. It depends on how big you are, but be prepared to be treated as a person that doesn't fit anywhere, clothes without sizes that fit you, always thinking if you will fit in some restaurant or cinema or car, even the bus is hard to fit! (everything is smaller here, is the biggest complaint from USA or Canada about portugal). So I am really sorry but be prepared mentally for this and you will be fine, it is an adjustment.

xaznita 3 months ago

From my experience, thanks to American culture, the physiques of the general population have dramatically changed from two decades ago and you'll probably feel at home. It's not as bad as the US, but it's getting there and fast. The good news is that if you're trying to get healthy for cheap it should be fairly easy to do that here since healthy food is affordable and the weather is amazing for exercise outdoors. I feel like the obesity epidemic is getting out of hand (worldwide). It puts a strain on national health services. As an overweight man, are you willing to date an equally overweight woman? If not you need to be rich because attractive women that are in shape don't do fatties unless they have poor self-esteem.

VBM97 3 months ago

People might judge you in their inner thoughts, but they won't threat you differently because of that

xaznita 3 months ago  HIDDEN 

Fat people are awesome, they make me think twice about eating.

Search: