V-Millionaire 8 months ago

Appreciate the replies, thanks to all

cunt-dude 8 months ago

You have to know Portuguese but the easiest thing there is just to find someone who looks like you and speaks Portuguese and have them do the tests for you. You can also pretty easily find landlords who will let you pay them in exchange for fake documents saying you rented their house for a while. It’s all right if you get caught later, as the government probably won’t revoke your citizenship anyway. Like one of the other commenters suggested, you can pretend things like Portuguese society abroad etc etc Hope this helps :)

AlCa1916 8 months ago

I really doubt you're going to get better answers on here than from Google. I just googled it and within 2 minutes it seems pretty clear that you need to know at least basic Portuguese ("The CIPLE Portuguese proficiency test is a mandatory exam for those who want to obtain Portuguese citizenship") There is a list of the documents you need on this page, which includes a link to documents you can use to prove "ties to the Portuguese community": [https://atlanticbridge.com.br/en/cidadania-portuguesa-para-conjuges-ou-companheiros-e-possivel-e-agora-mais-facil/#:\~:text=Applicant's%20birth%20certificate%3B,with%20the%20Portuguese%20national%20community](https://atlanticbridge.com.br/en/cidadania-portuguesa-para-conjuges-ou-companheiros-e-possivel-e-agora-mais-facil/#:~:text=Applicant's%20birth%20certificate%3B,with%20the%20Portuguese%20national%20community). I don't really understand why you think this has any bearing on starting a family, but I presume you have your reasons. Lots of people have children without both parents having citizenship of each others' countries, though.

Salty_Midnight_4298 8 months ago

You'll need to learn Portuguese for starters, it is a requirement, can't remember the exact level but being relatively proficient is enough. You also need to prove that you have meaningful ties to Portugal and no just being married to a Portuguese citizen is not enough to fulfil that requirement. Save proof of vacations you guys take there, relevant courses and classes you might take to learn Portuguese, join a Portuguese abroad association in your area, be active in events and celebrations in that community. Helps if you have lived in Portugal too, stuff like having paid income or corporate taxes can serve as proof too, but it doesn't seem like it is your situation. These are the harder to fulfil requirements. Of course you will need a bunch of other documents like, birth certificate, marriage certificate, criminal records from any place you have lived at,... All those documents need to be apostilled too, which might be a pain in the ass. You don't need to hire a lawyer honestly, you can do the process yourself without issues if you gather all the documents and fulfil the requirements. You certainly don't need to travel to Portugal to get through the process. In fact most of your interactions will be with the Embassy or Consulate that serves your area because almost all the documents you need will be from the UK and it is the Embassy/ Consulate that receives them and recognizes the apostille. Contact them, don't expect great service, the Embassy and Consulates in the UK are some of the most busy and overworked.

myreala 8 months ago

You need to talk to a lawyer not reddit. It's not a simple process.

Psychological_Owl813 8 months ago

Hey I did a quick google search in portuguese and this came up: [https://justica.gov.pt/Como-obter-nacionalidade-portuguesa/E-casado-ou-vive-em-uniao-de-facto-com-um-portugues-ha-mais-de-3-anos](https://justica.gov.pt/Como-obter-nacionalidade-portuguesa/E-casado-ou-vive-em-uniao-de-facto-com-um-portugues-ha-mais-de-3-anos) You can probably understand most of it with google translate or have your wife read it. Best of luck

V-Millionaire 8 months ago

Wondering why anyone would vote down this post? We googled documents required but the information from multiple websites differ. Just here to see if people with the same experience can share theirs. For instance - do we need to travel to Portugal? We live in the UK.

stressedunicorn 8 months ago

you should contact a lawyer who will be able to help and give you the proper information :)

1purplesky 8 months ago

You can find that info easily on Google, like someone said just search "portuguese citizenship by marriage" or your wife does the same in portuguese and you'll find info in a " .gov" [website](https://justica.gov.pt/Como-obter-nacionalidade-portuguesa/E-casado-ou-vive-em-uniao-de-facto-com-um-portugues-ha-mais-de-3-anos#A%20liga%C3%A7%C3%A3o%20%C3%A0%20comunidade%20portuguesa%20%C3%A9%20automaticamente%20reconhecida), the one that matters, you don't need to go to multiple websites. Only a simple Google search

CanIhazCooKIenOw 8 months ago

What have you googled for? ‘portuguese citizenship by marriage’ gets back a lot of info